March 6, 2018

Married? Common-Law? It’s complicated? Find out what happens to your taxes

The state of your relationship can impact your taxes. And if you change your status, it should be communicated to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). CRA will need to know if you get married, consider yourself common-law partners or separate. Common-law regulations differ from official marriages and involve the time spent living together or sharing children. Marriages are easier to document as are legal separations, but regardless of status, both parties still need to file separately in Canada.

Key Takeaways:

  • A marriage typically increases the benefits and credits that you can claim on a tax return.
  • Married couples can claim their status as soon as it’s official through a civil or religious ceremony. Other couples are required be in a relationship for 12 consecutive months and live together before they’re eligible for common-law status for tax purposes. The exception is couples with children together, who are considered common-law the moment they start living together.
  • You can keep the CRA informed by downloading and mailing them the RC65 marital status change form.

“Whether you’re single, common-law or married, it’s good to know how your relationship will affect your taxes. Keep the CRA up to date to make sure you’re accessing all of the credits and benefits you’re eligible for.”

Read more: Married? Common-Law? It’s complicated? Find out what happens to your taxes

Ask Our Experts

Quadrant is dedicated to your financial success. Get expert advice and insights to grow your business and plan for your future.

Request a Consultation